Shadows of Absalom
The eastern gate of Absalom, also called simply the Postern, is the smallest of all the city’s gates, and the only one kept closed and locked as a general rule. As it is only 50 feet high and 40 feet wide it lacks the splendor and size of the Outer Gate of Azlanti Keep, but shares the thick stone and balconies within the gate itself, features common to defensive buildings designed by Aroden. It is used primarily to get goods to and from Starwatch Keep, on the eastern edge of the Flotsam Graveyard. It was often the focus of siege attempts early in Absalom’s history, before the western Sally Port was added. During the Siege of Prophets in 1298 AR, forces of the Prophet Kings actually managed to breach the gate itself, but were unable to penetrate the city. A carved stone set in the last hall within the Postern commemorates the deepest the enemy forces reached. It reads “And No Farther,” which is also the motto of the Post Guards.